Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Upslope | Why are we doing this podcast? | Raspberry Pi | GNU Cash
- Opening song credit: “Beer, Beer, Beer,” courtesy of Brobdingnagian Bards
- Upslope Brewing Company hails from our own Boulder, Colorado and is celebrating it’s fifth anniversary this year. The initial conversation that started FOSS+beer occurred at Upslope’s Lee Hill tap room (over a couple glasses of their Pumpkin Ale), so it was only fitting that we choose one of their beers for our first episode.
- Limited release spiced Belgian-style, dubbel made from Abbey Ale Yeast; 8.2% ABV; comes in four-packs of 16 oz. cans
- “Dubbel” originates from Westmalle trappist abbey in Belgium
- More about the Christmas Ale here
- Upslope is celebrating its fifth anniversary – yeah!
- We like beer (duh)
- Apparent relationship between beer and free software: famous quote by Richard Stallman, “free as in free speech, not as in free beer” – there is the Beerware License (see bottom of page)
- Different names for the same thing: Free Software v. Open Source Software v. some combination or acronym (FOSS = free & open source software or FLOSS = free and libre open source software)
- Why “free software” is the preferred term of choice by Stallman and the FSFE
- An overview of the various terms by Björn Schießle
- Different meanings of the same word, “free,” in English
- Micro v. macro brews: Even Coors gets into the act
- Maybe there will even be a FOSSbeer beer!
- There is a freebeer.org site, but it hasn’t been update in some time
NERD & TELL:
Raspberry Pi for Christmas at the Donald household
- Raspberry Pi distros found here
- It doesn’t fit in an Altoids tin, but it does have it’s own case
- Here is some info on tax tables for sales tax
- Here is an Ebook on business use, including payroll.