Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Odd13 Brewing | FOSDEM 2014 | Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Alfresco
- Odd13 Brewing opened its doors in August 2013. A small brewery that is part of the revitalization of Lafayette, on east Simpson
- Each beer is its own character complete with background story and comic-like personification, as well as membership to a larger group: the mainstays who make up “The “Odd Squad”; the villains of “The Legion of Odd”; and guests appearances by “The Sidekicks.”
- On our reconnaissance mission, we asked the bartender about distribution and growth plans – Eric the Red first, and Doctor Cougar to be available elsewhere soon!
- Eric the Red, a Viking superhero in the form of a hoppy, red IPA at 7.1% ABV (ooh!)
- Boups think it’s a “sweat beer”; Mark thinks it reminds him of Oskar Blues G’Night
- Doctor Cougar, a surgeon-by-day and were-cougar-by-night. A Petite Saison at 5.3% ABV
- Tastes Belgian; tasting wheaty, banana, coriander flavors
- Our first “event report”! – woo-hoo!
- FOSDEM stands for Free Software Developer’s European Meeting – the largest meeting of free software folks ever
- Began in 2000, first started having a legal track 3 years ago
- Completely volunteer run, completely cool and impressive 2 day, weekend event
- You can find video recordings of all the legal talks here
- Since Mark couldn’t come, Jilayne brought him back a t-shirt (everyone say, “awwww”)
- 2015 – FOSS+beer at FOSDEM!!
Hey, look! We have a new section!
- Nest, an “Internet of Things” company, was recently bought by Google for $3.2B
- Feedback was sent regarding an open source alternative to Nest
NERD AND TELL:
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
- Jilayne’s only smartphone experience is an iPhone 4 (she’s cheap like that); using an Android phone now… interesting comparison
- It’s huge!!!!! is it a “phablet” or a “teletablet”
- Is bigger better for a phone? Boups want a phone the size of a 5th generation iPad Nano
- The functionality on this device is never-ending
- The S-pen is cool, but no one’s handwriting is as good as the video demonstrations
- Will Jilayne leave iOS for her personal phone? TBD…
- Enterprise open source document management system at its heart with a strong community; founded in 2005
- Intended to be an OSS competitor to proprietary systems
- License options: commercial license for cloud offering and more enabled enterprise piece; or GPL
- Makes $$ on “complexity model” – a few aspects supported on enterprise version that not supported on OSS version
- stores stuff, i.e. documents, and then web apps that run on top
- imap server and file server to file shares; getting email in and out – sets Alfresco apart